If you want to use your KVM with a desktop the easiest way is to install LinuxMint.
Minimum installation requirements: KVM STARTER or better
EDIS has LinuxMint available as CD-ROM iso in the server admin.
This manual will explain how to prepare for installation, the installation itself and the configuration of the Network.
1. Prepare to install LinuxMint
- Login into the server-admin at https://manage.edis.at/vps
- Select the right KVM and enable VNC
- Choose the LinuxMint iso from the CD-ROM menu
- Connect to your KVM with VNC
- Reboot your KVM and open the boot menu (F12 or ESC) and select option 3 to boot from DVD/CD
2. Now the LinuxMint iso will start
- Double click on the "Install Linux Mint" Icon
- Select your preferred Language and proceed to the next step
- Do NOT select to install third-party software for now and proceed to the next step
- Select to "Erase disk and install Linux Mint" and press "Install Now"
- Confirm the partitioning of the Disk by pressing "Continue"
- In the next steps choose your Timezone and Keyboard layout and proceed to the next step
- Now fill in the form to create your server host, username and password
Linux Mint will now be installed. This could take a couple of minutes.
After the installation you will be askes to restart your machine and remove the iso.
3. Configure the network setting:
- Make sure you restarted your freshly installed Linux Mint and login
- Click on the network icon in the right bottom corner of the screen and choose "Network Settings"
- In the pop-up press the Tools button in the right corner
- Go to the IPv4 settings and change "DHCP" to "Manual". Now put in the IP setting that you where given. You can look them up in the server-admin at https://manage.edis.at/vps
- After saving the setting Turn OFF and ON the Wired Connection
Now you are ready! You have a working desktop with an active internet connection.
Image 1 - Select to "Erase disk and install Linux Mint" and press "Install Now"
Image 2 - Press the tools button in the network setting and fill in IPv4 information